For Kids: Pentecost 5 (Lectionary 15) | Year C
Opening Song: The Apostles' Creed
Today we are learning about the greatest commandments!
Lesson: The Good Samaritan, Jesus Calling Bible Storybook pg. 176
Special Video: The Story of Flibberloo
Bible Story Video: The Good Samaritan
Ask: Who is the first person in our story today? (A man who goes on a journey)
- What happens to the man? (He gets attacked and ends up hurt and alone on the side of the road)
- The first man, who comes along, is a priest (so kind of like a churchman) —
does he help the hurt man? (No)
- The second man, who comes along, is also like a churchman — does he help the hurt man? (No)
- The third man, who comes along, is a man from a different country that doesn't get along very well with the country of the hurt man — does he help the hurt man? (Yes)
- So who was being a good man who loves other people with his actions? (The third man)
Say: Jesus wants us to love other people as that man did in our story today — Jesus wants us to love other people with our actions (with what we do). Even if we don't know or like somebody, we can still be kind and help them if they need help. That is how Jesus wants us to love other people.
In Jesus' Upside Down Kingdom, we need to love people with our actions — all people, even people we don't like!
Song for Kids: Love One Another
Activity Sheets or Play
After the song, hand out the activity sheets. Younger children are welcome to play with the Duplos (encourage them to play out a story that fits with the lesson).
End with the Lord's Prayer when the Usher comes to let you know the prayers have started.
Ending Song: The Lord's Prayer